Monday, September 05, 2005

Makoto Yukimura's Vinland Saga



Makoto Yukimara's manga Planetes is one of my favourite comics. Its about space exploration in the near future and it's remarkably one of the most human and beautiful science fiction stories I've ever read. So when I read on scanlation group MangaScreener's front page that they had just released the translation of the 1st volume of his new manga, Vinland Saga, I was agog. I fired up mirc and downloaded it straight away.


Wow. It's completely different from Planetes but I really like it. It's about Vikings! It's a shonen manga which means lots of bloodshed and violence, a bit of slapstick comedy and all that kinda stuff. It's still got Yukimura's magic touch, though. This is very much an introductory issue but it hints to a very interesting storyline. And of course his artwork remains impeccable. This is a very cool comic. I hope someone gets the rights to release an English version real soon.

No comments: