Thursday, August 31, 2006

Used Books A Go Go Baby!

If you walk into a large chain bookstore like Borders or Kinokuniya or even Popular, you probably know exactly what book you want to buy. Or at the very least, you'll know what kind of book. Best-sellers, thrillers, fantasy, science fiction- everything's neatly arranged in rows to make your book purchasing decision as painless as possible. All very efficient, but not very exciting.

Used book stores offer a totally opposite experience. You never know what you'll find on their shelves, where everything's tossed together in a wonderfully dizzy disarray. Familiar authors and titles jump out at you, while unknown ones preen for your attention. At a used book store, book-browsing gains an aura of adventure.

Even in Singapore, where I have yet to find a real dedicated second hand book store, it's possible to find some real gems at stores that stock used books. I passed by such a shop today at Bras Basah. I hadn't any intention of buying a book since I was headed to the National Library, but I couldn't help glancing at the used book shelf (cunningly positioned outside the store) anyway.

To my surprise and delight, a pristine copy of China MiƩville(my current favourite author)'s first novel (and the only one of his I haven't read), King Rat, was sitting on top of a stack of management books on the second highest shelf! To my even greater delight, the book was only selling for two dollars. My buying instinct having been aroused, I examined the other books on the shelves more closely on the off-chance that I might find another steal.

A nineteen year old copy of V.S. Naipaul's A House for Mr Biswas soon revealed itself- I'd always wanted to read the acclaimed author's works and this was the perfect opportunity. Finally, I found David Guterson's Snow Falling on Cedars buried behind a pile of self-help books (the second highest population on the shelf- behind business books!). I'd heard the movie adaptation was excellent, which no doubt reflected on the qualities of the novel itself.

So for the low price of five dollars, I found myself richer by three fine novels. You just can't find a better deal than that in Singapore!

Technorati Tags: , ,

No comments: