Monday, February 06, 2006

Netgear Router Woes

Bought a Netgear WGR614v5 Wireless router the week before last to replace a Linksys router that was giving me a fair bit of grief- for goodness sake, I had to restart it every 3 days cos my connection kept dropping out on me. The Netgear one doesn't do that- well it better not!- but it does this really weird thing where I get "Server not found" errors on a lot of pages when I first start a browsing session. Browsing feels a little slow in general. This bothered me so much that I actually contacting Netgear's tech support- sadly they don't have a Singapore tech support line so I got through to a call-center in India. A friendly Indian dude ran me through a whole set of trouble-shooting questions and after about half an hour told me to update my routers firmware to the latest version. Which I did. But it doesn't seem to have alleviated the problem. This is severely uncool. I'm gonna call em back but somehow I doubt the service guys'll be of much more help- I suspect I'm going to have to turn this thing in and get a replacement. But I'd really appreciate any help/advice that kind netizens out there could offer.

Oddly enough, I've never used a wireless router that DIDN'T give me all kinds of problems. And I've been using Linksys- supposedly the best brand in routers- routers up til now.

1 comment:

wh0kn0wz said...

Dude may I suggest that you build a simple router out of a linux box, and add a wireless PCI card and bridge it to the LAN, and I am sure it will give u a lot less trouble. You can have a firewall plus a fileserver etc...
So where have u been lately? When r u coming back to Maldives?