Sunday, June 18, 2006

An MS developer speaks up about Vista (plus, mad system requirements!)

"Vista. The term stirs the imagination to conceive of beautiful possibilities just around the corner. And “just around the corner” is what Windows Vista has been, and has remained, for the past two years. In this time, Vista has suffered a series of high-profile delays, including most recently the announcement that it would be delayed until 2007. The largest software project in mankind’s history now threatens to also be the longest."
Quoted from this blog entry by a Microsoft manager who formerly worked on Windows. The operating system has (in)famously been delayed multiple times, losing features in the process. It's finally nearing release but the system requirements, which are formidable indeed, indicate that the system is very bloated. Everything I hear about Vista just makes me more and more apprehensive.

I wouldn't care if I could just stick to XP for the forseeable future, but I'm a gamer and some 'killer app' game will no doubt force me to make the switch to Vista. Ugh... the insanity. This, along with the recent news of Bill Gates leaving Microsoft to focus on his philanthropic activities (good on you, Bill!), makes me wonder about the future of the company. Well, as the saying goes, time will tell. Meanwhile, I'm thinking seriously about switching to Linux for day-to-day use.

Technorati Tags: , , ,

No comments: