Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Who Framed Roger Rabbit as Holocaust Metaphor?

metaphilm has an interesting article up that looks at the Holocaust metaphor embedded within Stephen Spielberg and Robert Zemeckis' 1988 film "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?" I watched the movie when I was a kid so I didn't appreciate any of it's deeper aspects, but it's quite fascinating to read about the subtexts that underly popular movies like this one. I guess this shows that the Holocaust really does weigh heavily on Stephen Spielberg's film-making (it's quite obvious in the Indiana Jones movies!).

His latest movie, Munich, is possibly his most mature take on the subject- being somewhat of a serious examination of the political realities of the state of Israel. I still haven't reviewed it because it's a difficult film for me to do justice to, but check out Roger Ebert's review - it's rather excellent.

No comments: