Sunday, March 05, 2006

Wikipedia hits 1 million articles!

On March 1st, 2006, the 1,000,000th article on Wikipedia was created. It's a short article about Jordanhill railway station in Scotland. Brilliant. The article provides some really specific information that's not be important to everyone but will be of benefit to a certain set of people (I'm guessing locals, travellers and people who are moving into the area)- the sort of thing that Wikipedia is really good at.

I've been using Wikipedia regularly since I first came across it a few years ago and it's grown into an absolutely fantastic resource for looking up just about anything. I think the growth of the website has far surpassed the expectations of it's original creators by now. How many years til the 2,000,000th article, I wonder?

No comments: